Saturday 24 March 2012

Crazy

Someone said to me "Doctor's must just think you are amazing".   My answer.....  No, not really.  They just think I'm crazy.   Our GI appt came and went at the beginning of this month.  I like our GI.  He is nice guy, he doesn't think (or at least let on) that I am crazy.   He lets me do my thing.  Even agreeing that some of his patients with severe protein intolerances do every well with a natural path, and eating natural food, rather than *industrial* food (food from a grocery store).   But he is doctor, so he still is very scientific and still concerned with labs and numbers.   Levi's labs are always bad.  Not just bad, but really, really bad.   His last lab results for iron are "transfusion worthy" our nurse told me.  That one was hard to swallow.  It knocked the wind out of me.  I wanted to puke.  This is when I have a hard time trusting.  I want to do everything I can to protect this little dude of mine.   You see, we've tried a few iron supplements.   Levi doesn't handle them well.   They have talked IV iron, which means they will admit us into the hospital and course an iron supplement through his veins by passing his stomach, but he can still can react to that, I don't KNOW for sure that he will, but he very well could.  I know the small amount I have put into his mouth didn't agree with him at all.   My gut feeling is that he doesn't need that iron as much as the labs are saying.   I know how important iron is for the body and brain to function properly, but Levi shows NO outward signs of being anemic.  So getting that news was tough.  I panicked, I cried.  I prayed.... no I begged God to show me what I had to do.  Do we do the IV iron or not?   I wanted to give up....... we have worked so hard, only to be put back in the hospital for something that could set us back huge??  Or be good for us??    I wrote to some of my FPIE mamas.  Those mamas.  The ones who walk this walk with me everyday, the ones whose kids are going through a tougher things than we are..... they talked me through, they prayed with me.  For me.  Then the next morning this devotional came across my screen: 

Do Something
Posted: 08 Mar 2012 10:01 PM PST


“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled. Matthew 5:6”

Healing begins when you do something.  God’s help is near and always available, but it’s given to those who seek it.  Healing starts when you take a step.  God honors radical, risk-taking faith.

When arks are built, lives are saved.  When soldiers march, Jerichos tumble.

When staffs are raised, seas still open.  When a lunch is shared, thousands are fed.


And when a garment is touched by the hand of an anemic woman in Galilee—Jesus stops!

He stops and responds.

Compared to God’s part, our part is minuscule—but necessary.  We don’t have to do much, but we do have to do something!  Faith with no effort is not faith at all!

Write a letter.  Ask forgiveness.


Call a counselor.  Call a mom!

Visit a doctor.  Be baptized.

Feed a hungry person.

Pray.  Teach.  Go.

God honors radical, risk-taking faith.  And He will respond.

(Max Lucado)

Words I swear were written just for me.  I was once again humbled by God's love for me, for His provision.  Our nurse also called back.  Our GI does not want to do IV iron, he thinks that if any kid would react to IV iron, Levi would be that kid.   But she asked me to please find a supplement for him.  So my hunt for something as natural as can be is on once again.  This is just another little push for me to "do something" push a little hard, because God is with us,  just a little up ahead.  Not always were I can see, but always there.

3 comments:

  1. what's crazy is that he is on breastmilk which is so bioavailable of iron and on beef - such a rich source of iron and yet he still struggles. Kind of like Sam, on IV nutrition and still dropped to transfusion requiring levels...I will pray for you and Levi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know eh Joy?? this iron thing has me baffled. There has got to be more to it, I don't believe he would even be able to absorb the iron properly even if I had him on a supplement, but I will try to figure something out!!

      Delete
  2. Wow....Ur always in my prayers Joce!! Love u and Levi very much! I'm baffled by this transfusion worthy bit! My oh my! Weird....Say hi to the rest of the family For me! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete